Local Authority Funding

Local Authority Funding

Everything you need to know about local authority funded homecare

Local Authority Funded Care

For individuals in the UK requiring homecare services, social care funding provided by local authorities offers a valuable means to access the necessary support. Local authority funding, also known as social care funding or council-funded care, is available to individuals who meet specific eligibility criteria. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore social care funding for homecare services in the UK, addressing key questions such as what it entails, how to apply, and the associated costs.

What is local authority, or social care, funding?

Social care funding, provided by local authorities, is a financial assistance program designed to support individuals with care needs. It enables eligible individuals to access homecare services, ensuring they receive the necessary support to maintain their independence and well-being. Local authorities have a legal obligation to assess individuals' care needs and provide financial support if they meet the criteria.

What is local authority, or social care, funding?

How do I apply for social care funding?

Applying for social care funding involves the following steps:

  • Needs Assessment

Contact your local authority's social services department to request a needs assessment. A social worker or an assessor will evaluate your care needs to determine if you meet the eligibility criteria for funding.

  • Financial Assessment

Following the needs assessment, a financial assessment will be conducted to evaluate your income, assets, and savings. This assessment helps determine the level of financial support you may be eligible for.

  • Care Planning

If assessed as eligible, a care plan will be developed in collaboration with you and your care team. This plan outlines the specific support and services required to meet your care needs.

  • Payment Arrangements

The local authority will discuss the payment arrangements with you, taking into account your financial circumstances. They may contribute partially or fully to the cost of your homecare services, based on the assessed needs and available resources.

Financial advice

Whilst for many of us an increase in life expectancy may seem like good news, it must be recognised that there are financial implications for those who live longer and for those that need care at any point in their lives.

Few people take the time to plan for how they would meet the cost of paying for care should the need arise. At McMillan Wealth Consultants, they take time to understand their client’s needs and work with them to deliver the right outcome to assist them with their long-term care planning, and other financial needs they may have.

If you are searching for specialist advice from an experienced team of consultants, please visit the link below.

Contact financial advisors
Financial advice

What do you pay for social care funding?

The cost of social care funding varies depending on various factors, including your financial circumstances, care needs, and the level of support required. Local authorities use means testing to determine the level of financial support they will provide. Means testing considers factors such as your income, assets, savings, and any other financial resources available to you.

The amount you contribute towards the cost of homecare services may be determined based on a sliding scale, where the local authority assesses your ability to pay. In some cases, you may be required to make a full or partial payment towards the cost of your care, while in others, the local authority may cover the entire cost. It is important to note that the cost may vary between different local authorities, as funding arrangements are set at the local level.

Additionally, local authorities may have different policies regarding the types of homecare services they cover. Some services, such as personal care, may be fully funded, while others, like household chores or companionship, may require partial or full payment from the individual receiving care.

Current thresholds for funded social care are as follows;

  • Upper Threshold

    If you have more than £23,250 in assets (this includes savings, investment and property) you receive no financial support.

  • Middle Threshold

    Between £14,250 and £23,250 you are eligible for partial contributions.

  • Lower Threshold

    Below £14,250 you receive full financial support.

Other funding options


Self-funded Care

Everything you need to know about privately funded homecare

Find out more

NHS Continuing Healthcare

Everything you need to know about NHS continuing healthcare funding

Find out more